{This is a long story. I tried to shorten it up, but there was no way to do it. Read on...it's pretty funny.}
After staying home all last week, I decided I wanted to get out as much as possible. I have also set a goal (resolution?) to do an "Enrichment Activity" every week with the kids. On Friday I took the kids to the Children's Museum to meet up with our friends who live in the city. Since we still haven't decided on which double stroller to get (we like to research a lot) I borrowed my neighbor's side-by-side jogger, having never seen it before. Matt and I were both surprised at how big it was, but decided to use it anyway. Matt's train stop is two before the museum stop, so we all headed up to the train together.
On our walk up to the train station I asked, "Is this even going to fit on the train?" Matt had just had the same thought. Well, it did...sort of. It fit on the train, but not into the compartment. Seriously, wouldn't get through the door. We took both kids out, turned it sideways and got it in. Well, that was fine while I had Matt with me, but he was going to get off before me...I was going to have to do it alone. I figured HD could get out and then I'd have to turn it with Eman in it. I decided to practice while Matt was there, just to make sure I could do it. So I practiced (and made Matt take pictures)...
We knew that as long as Eman was strapped in correctly (and tightly) that it would work. And it did. So, Matt got off and went to school and we continued you on. I was so nervous. Seriously. But when the time came, we got out just fine. Eman had fallen asleep on the ride and didn't even wake up until we were at the museum.
The museum was great. It was fun talking to my friend and letting the kids play. HD loves that place. We spent a lot of time in the 0-3 zone, which we somehow missed last time we went. It was perfect. Of course we visited the ball and bubble section again. Even Eman got to play in the baby section and practice standing all by himself.
HD was very sad to leave, but we had to. So, we hurried back to the train station because I wanted plenty of time to get on the train...and it's a good thing we got there a little early.
Now, the "rules" on the train say that you have to board the last two train compartments if you have a stroller because of the position of the ramps when you leave the train. So that's what I did. I put HD on the train and then put the stroller on...only it. wouldn't. fit. It wouldn't fit no matter how I turned. I even took Eman out and had a stranger help me. Nothing worked. So I left Eman on the platform, got on the train to get HD back off (she had already found a seat) and headed to another compartment that was the same size as the one from the morning. The conductor stopped me until I explained the problem then he let me on the "special" compartment and everything fit.
I called Matt to let him know we were on the train and fine. However, as I was talking to him, I slightly stood off my seat and it flipped back up (like a movie seat), scraping my back and knocking me to the floor, in tears. It hurt so bad. Of course, Matt heard me cry out and then I hung up. After crying on the floor for about three minutes, I gathered myself together and called Matt back. He decided to come home with us. I didn't want him to because I had kids coming over to the house that evening and I knew he wouldn't get anything done at home, but he insisted. He didn't believe me that I was fine...probably because I wasn't convinced myself.
Anyway, about three stops from home, the conductor comes over the loudspeaker announcing that everyone needs to get off the train and take a bus to the remaining stops (problems with a switch on the tracks). Are you kidding?! We just got on this train. I guess it was good that I hurt my back, which led Matt to coming home with me because in order to do this, we had to take both kids out of the stroller so we could go up a flight of stairs (I held Eman and HD's hand while Matt carried the stroller) to get to the bus. And, you guessed it, the stroller wouldn't really fit on the bus so Matt stood in the doorway (doors barely closed) holding the stroller on its side next to the driver. Of course he had to get off to let the other passengers off, and then get on again. Luckily it only took about 20 minutes from where the train stopped to our train station.
Just hilarious that this would happen. But, I still love the city. And I still love going into the city. And I will do it again. But next time I will have a better double-stroller that will fit through all doors.

No comments:
Post a Comment