Friday, December 17, 2010

Homesick.

Not gonna lie. I'm homesick. Matt's homesick. HD's homesick. And E-man would be if he remembered the last place he lived before we moved.

There's just something about my Mom and Dad's home. It's not huge (my Mom wishes it were bigger) and it's not fancy (she's okay with it not being so fancy), but it's perfect. It always looks amazing (my parents are very clean people) and it smells like home and right now I know that the lights are on and the trees up and there are probably presents under the tree. My parents' home invites and welcomes anyone who steps inside. And then it grabs hold. And it makes you never, ever want to leave.

And then there's Matt's parents home - where we spent our first nearly-married Christmas {Matt proposed while we were vacationing over Christmas break in Italy}. His parents have a brick oven where his Dad grills the most amazing steaks I've ever tasted. A cozy veranda where we would sit and talk and play cards. And his Mom - well, she's everything that is Italy wrapped up into one little body. And the Alps are looking down over his home, calling for skiing and snowboarding and every other winter activity you can imagine.

So when I think of all the wonderful-ness of both homes, of course I get homesick. And I expected this and I'm surviving it. But there's no denying I'm homesick. So tonight, I'm going to do my best to brighten up our little house with some Christmas music, hot chocolate, and a Christmas movie (or two). Because there really is no place like home for the holidays...and this is home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man... just reading this made ME homesick...for YOUR home! It sounds wonderful No wonder you miss both places so much! Can I come to your house for Christmas sometime, 'cause it's seems magnificent! But we'll try and keep happy here! A 13.2 (emphasis on the .2) mile run may help! Bring on the endorphins! :)

Jamie said...

Well said my dear. Well said.