Sunday, January 23, 2011

Celtics Game

A few months ago our ward announced LDS night at the Celtics. Danny Ainge is the President of Basketball Operations for the Celtics and is also the bishop of the Weston 1st ward (we attend the Weston 2nd ward). So I guess because of that and because the Celtics were playing the Jazz, they decided to have an LDS night. Matt and I have a goal to attend one game of each of the major sports teams here before we leave. We have attended a Red Sox, so when this opportunity arose, we jumped on it.

The game was on Friday night. We'd had another storm that morning, so Matt actually worked from home, allowing us a little bit of extra time to get into the city. We dropped the kids off at Kristin's (THANK YOU!) house, drove to the metro and hopped on the T to take us to the North End. About 5 minutes from North Station is a little pizza place - Regina Pizzeria - in North End. We'd heard good reviews from a couple of friends here and we figured that was a good pre-game meal. What a fun little restaurant! Lots of loud Bostonians running the joint, tons of customers, few tables, music on the juke box and enough talking and laughing to keep us entertained. Matt and I actually sat at the bar because there weren't any other open seats and you have to wait outside to be seated. It was a frigid 15 degrees so we of course took the bar seats. We had our yummy pizza and then ran (because it was freezing) to the Garden. We got there just in time to see the player announced before heading to our seats - in the nose bleed section.


Had to get a picture with all the beer!

It was a great game and so fun to be there. Seeing Shaq live was unreal. He is HUGE! And watching all the players that I watched on TV during the last finals was a trip. Seriously amazing! I wish we could have been closer, but it was still fun to watch. Plus the crowd was charged. I LOVE Bostonians. They are hilarious when it comes to sports. And although I have heard it described as one of the ugliest accents in the United States, I still can't get enough of the Boston accent. We sat in front of 6 men (probably students) who talked non-stop about everything throughout the entire game. I wasn't trying to eavesdrop but couldn't help because I love listening to the accent.







Matt and I loved attending the game. We loved getting a night out (without kids). We loved being in the city. All in all it was a great night. So grateful to Kristin for feeding my kids dinner, putting them to bed and then sitting at our house for three hours until we got home! What a great night!


4 comments:

Jacy said...

I am SO jealous!!! How fun! Between the combo of being in Nursery and being a slacker about reading my email, I totally missed the announcement about the tickets. I'm so bummed. This looks like so much fun. I'm glad you had a great time!

Anonymous said...

Yes! Regina is the best! (Sorry they screwed the baking up though!) I guess it just means you have to go back! But next time we'll come with you!

Sarah said...

Looks like a great night out!

Brad said...

Amen. The night out, the basketball, THE ACCENT!!!, the pizza...everything sounds wonderful.

Deidre