Wednesday, October 21, 2009

New England Afternoon

The weather today was absolutely gorgeous. Blue skies. Upper 60s. Lots of sunshine. Since I know that one day these beautiful days are going to end, I figure we better not waste them. So this afternoon I took the kids to the Longfellow Wayside Inn and Grist Mill. I remember going to this place when I was a kid, and we have video of my sisters Melanie and Alicia, when they were toddlers, walking around the Grist Mill. It has some really cool history...built right on the Boston Post Road and has been a stopping point for travelers from something like 300 years.

It's about a 25-minute drive through gorgeous, tree-filled country. We headed there after lunch and spent about two hours just walking around, exploring nature and taking lots of pictures. E-man loved it when I took him out of the stroller and just held him while we walked around. I should have brought my sling or baby carrier, but I wasn't thinking. HD loved the water and finding acorns. It really was a very nice and relaxing afternoon. And once again I was overcome by the beauty of this area. Incredible! I wish Matt could have come, but with his schedule the way it is, the kids and I are going to have to fly solo on a number of these days trips.

Sitting in front of a tree next to the schoolhouse.

HD was done, but I love that Ethan is looking at the camera. He is so handsome!

Walking down the lane away from the Inn.

I couldn't resist taking this picture with the amazing backdrop and the stone wall.

She was laughing at the bubbles in the water.

Showing me her acorn.


Josephine Pond, next to the Inn.

Proof that I was there. HD took this picture. Not bad for a two-year old!

And some scenic shots...


The Grist Mill.

Side view of Grist Mill.

Little Red Schoolhouse. Mary's, from "Mary Had a Little Lamb", school.

My favorite picture of the day. Mary Martha Chapel and the beautiful New England scenery.


I have so many more photos but I'll spare you! I was camera happy...but how could I not be. Beautiful!

No comments: